Poster: Indigenous Day
The United Nations’ International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is observed each year on August 9 to promote and protect the rights of the world’s Indigenous population. This event recognizes the achievements and contributions made by Indigenous Peoples. The commemoration takes place on in recognition of the first meeting of the United Nations Working Group on Indigenous Populations held in Geneva in 1982.
2017’s International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples spotlights the 10th anniversary of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, a major milestone with respect to the cooperation and solidarity among Indigenous peoples and Member States.
The Declaration is the most comprehensive international instrument on the rights of Indigenous peoples. It embodies global consensus on the rights of Indigenous peoples and establishes a universal framework of minimum standards for their survival, dignity and well-being. It elaborates on existing human rights standards and fundamental freedoms, as they apply to the specific situation of Indigenous peoples.
Over the last decade, the implementation of the Declaration has achieved some major successes in at the national, regional and international levels. Despite the achievements, there continues to be a gap between the formal recognition of Indigenous peoples and the implementation of policies on the ground.
Special Event at UN Headquarters
Wednesday, August 9, 3pm-6pm, ECOSOC Chamber
Open to Indigenous Peoples’ Organizations, National Human Rights Institutions, Indigenous Members of Parliament, and friends of indigenous peoples. Register here. See more information. The event will be webcast live at webtv.un.org.
- Backgrounder on the tenth anniversary of the UNDRIP |EN| FR| ES| RU|
- E/C.19/2017/4 – Tenth anniversary of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: measures taken to implement the Declaration |EN| ES| FR| RU|
- E/C.19/2017/10 – International expert group meeting on the theme “Implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: the role of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues and other indigenous-specific mechanisms (article 42)” |EN| ES| FR| RU|
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (A/RES/61/295) |AR |EN| ES| FR| RU| ZU|
- Adolescent-Friendly Version of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples |EN|
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (in languages) English | Français | Español
The UN is partnering with Twitter on an International Day emoji to be launched on 8 August. The emoji will follow our branding and will be linked to the hashtags #WeAreIndigenous #SomosIndígenas #autochtones #IamIndigenous #SoyIndígena