Facebook is a prominent and controversial social web network in which there is no single ‘home’ page but viewers see different configurations of posts displayed via algorithms calculated to monetize attention as paid ads.
Planeta.com would like to help friends and colleagues make the most of Facebook, particularly via pages, groups and events … and in turn, figuring it out ourselves.
If you are creating or participating in an event on the ground, check out the relevant pages. Search!
Questions = Preguntas =
- How can we make groups and pages more useful? = ¿Cómo podemos hacer que los grupos y páginas sean más útiles?
- Without buying ads or bots, how do we increase the number of members and followers? = Sin comprar anuncios o bots, ¿cómo aumentamos el número de miembros y seguidores?
- For those hosting a group or page online, what are your lessons learned? = Para aquellos que hospedan un grupo o una página en línea, ¿cuáles son sus lecciones aprendidas?
- What are your favorite Facebook pages or groups? = ¿Cuáles son tus páginas o grupos de Facebook favoritos?
- Can you login on more than one device? = ¿Puedes iniciar sesión en más de un dispositivo (aparato)?
Core skills: (Digital Literacy Quiz)
- Have you created an account on Facebook?
- Have you created a public photo album?
- Have you commented on a friend’s post?
- Have you liked a friend’s post?
- Have you adjusted notifications on or off for your friends?
- Have you updated your cover photo, aka avatar?
- Have you downloaded an image from Facebook?
- Mobile users:
- Do you have the Facebook app on your smartphone?
- Have you checked in to a particular place?
What We Like
Bonus point for making events and posts easy to embed on other websites.
Given the recent scandal regarding Cambridge Analytica, we are reconsidering our use of Facebook. While some call for people to delete Facebook accounts, we are decidedly on the fence, finding the social web channel a useful tool to stay in touch with friends.
This page will be updated accordingly. Your thoughts?
For current users, highly recommended is downloading one’s own Facebook data. Easy to do from the settings page: https://www.facebook.com/settings
Favorite Pages and Groups
On Facebook there is a Planeta Page and a Planeta Group. Hosting a page and a group, I see the advantages and disadvantages of each, but it’s still difficult to articulate. Supposedly groups are more communal than pages which are the voice of the business, campaign, or the whatever.
2019 Status report for the Planeta Page page:
744 people like this
755 people follow this
An invite to like Planeta.com
Una invitación para dar un me gusta a Planeta.com
Mercados de Oaxaca https://www.facebook.com/groups/mercadosdeoaxaca
Indigenous Tourism https://www.facebook.com/indigenoustourism
IUCN Tourism https://www.facebook.com/IUCNTourism
RT Networking https://www.facebook.com/groups/rtnetworking
Global Ecotourism Network https://www.facebook.com/groups/GlobalEcotourismNetwork
— Ron Mader (@ronmader) April 7, 2017
Good way to procrastinate: What does Facebook know about you? Go to Settings > Ad Preferences > Your information > Your Categories pic.twitter.com/a4XCB2VMWt
— alicetiara (@alicetiara) February 9, 2018
I have never resisted a social-media thing as strongly as my refusal to download Facebook Messenger.
— Matt Pearce 🦅 (@mattdpearce) August 7, 2018