Photo: Oaxaca Workshop
Virtual Conference = Online event in which remote participants access presentations and collaborative networking.
Making the most of an online conference
If you want to participate …
- Make time available.
- Consult the background reading / previous videos
- Participate. Don’t lurk. At traditional conferences, you are noticed by your physical presence alone. Online hosts and fellow participants need to hear from you.
- Network. Because the conference is virtual, you can browse messages, participate in online chats and contact other participants. Develop a network of professional colleagues who you can help and who can help you get the work done.
- Send appropriate messages. Be sure to stick to the topic of discussion. If you go off track, your messages lose value.
- If you have problems, don’t panic.
Successful 1998 forum Community-Based Mountain Tourism: Practices for Linking Conservation with Enterprise
Be prepared to be surprised.
– Harrison Owen, Open Space Technology