Lingo Cards (Some rights reserved)
Virtual Conference = Online event in which remote participants access presentations and collaborative networking
Also see: online conference
Making the most of an online conference
If you want to participate …
- Make time available.
- Consult the background reading / previous videos
- Participate. Don’t lurk. At traditional conferences, you are noticed by your physical presence alone. Online hosts and fellow participants need to hear from you.
- Network. Because the conference is virtual, you can browse messages, participate in online chats and contact other participants. Develop a network of professional colleagues who you can help and who can help you get the work done.
- Send appropriate messages. Be sure to stick to the topic of discussion. If you go off track, your messages lose value.
- If you have problems, don’t panic.
2021 will demand new kinds of video conferencing
How to make people like you – virtually
The best alternatives to Zoom for videoconferencing
How to create the best at-home videoconferencing setup, for every budget – Techcrunch
We’re closer to holographic meetings than you think
Successful 1998 forum Community-Based Mountain Tourism: Practices for Linking Conservation with Enterprise
With the number of conferences going virtual, could we also see this as an opportunity to rethink them/ re-evaluate the barriers of entry? Would be awesome if this was an opportunity to amplify voices in those spaces who might otherwise not have had the opportunity to attend. @becsjarvis
No One: Academics: It’s a shame this conference is online… I would much prefer the State fund and fly me to an otherwise cost-prohibitive conference at the Hilton in NYC, where I’ll present my research for 12 mins to nobody, and then drink wine with my buds for five days.
Be prepared to be surprised.
– Harrison Owen, Open Space Technology