The United Nations created World Tourism Day (September 27) in 1979 to increase awareness of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic values. World Tourism Day is hosted by the UN World Tourism Organization.
Planeta.com has celebrated World Tourism Day since 1995, a little late to the party but earlier than others. We applaud the work of friends in the hospitality sector which has been impacted mightily by COVID19. Our coverage of 2021 World Tourism Day rolls out throughout the month of September.
Planeta.com will spotlight the YouTube channels that provide walking and biking tours, academic webinars, tourism student presentations, and in-depth dialogue and conversation. Faves include Enrique Cabanilla and Marlene Ehrenberg.
Translating: World Tourism Day
Hungarian: Turizmus Világnapja
Italian: Giornata Mondiale del Turismo
Spanish: Día Mundial del Turismo
Ways to Improve World Tourism Day
Create or participate in online video conversations before, during, and after World Tourism Day
- Integrate open access with tourism data, statistics, and reports
- Register satellite events
- Create how-to guides to participate for remote participants
- Announce the focal point and host country of next year’s event
- Show connections between World Tourism Day and World Environment Day
- Bonus points. Show connections between World Tourism Day and the UN Decade of Indigenous Languages
2011 Photo Competition