Planeta.com’s Digital Literacy Quiz – planeta.com/digital-literacy-quiz builds on early presentations in the late 1990s/early 200s: upgrading your world. addressed to practitioners and allies of eco / conscious / regenerative / responsible / sustainable lifestyles and travel. The quiz is maintained to assist friends with the ever changing digital platforms for communication and collaboration. The core skills and cultural references are frequently updated with input of friends.
Suggestions are welcome. The quiz and related handouts can be used and shared freely in classrooms and workshops. We ask for attribution and that you continue to share what you learn.
- Can you login on more than one device? = ¿Puedes iniciar sesión en más de un dispositivo (aparato)?
- What are the names of the browsers you have installed? And which do you use the most.
- Have you checked for updates for your browsers?
- Are the browsers synced across devices?
- Have you created an account on Facebook?
- Have you created a public photo album?
- Have you commented on a friend’s post?
- Have you liked a friend’s post?
- Have you adjusted notifications on or off for your friends?
- Have you updated your cover photo, aka avatar?
- Have you downloaded an image from Facebook?
- Mobile users:
- Have you installed the Facebook app on your smartphone?
- Have you checked in to a particular place?
- Have you created a gmail address?
- Have you edited a Google Doc?
- Do you know how to create a bookmark on Google Docs?
- Have you created an account on Twitter?
- Can you login on your laptop? On your phone? On your tablet?
- When was the last time you updated the avatar in your Twitter profile? = ¿Cuándo fue la última vez que actualizaste el avatar en tu perfil de Twitter?
- Have you scheduled a post On Twitter?
Bonus points if you change it this week.
- Have you updated your profile?
- Have you retweeted someone else’s tweet?
- Have you used a hashtag on Twitter?
- Have you reviewed your email notifications?
- Have you kept an eye on your followers?
- Have you created a Twitter list?
- Have you published a Twitter moment?
- Have you embedded a tweet on a website?
- Have you managed more than one Twitter account?
Core skills (Adventures in Digital Literacy)
- Have you created an account on WhatsApp? = ¿Has creado una cuenta en WhatsApp?
- Have you logged in on your laptop? On your phone? = ¿Ha iniciado sesión en su computadora portátil? ¿En tu teléfono?
- What version of WhatsApp are you using? = ¿Qué versión de WhatsApp estás usando?
- Have you chatted with contacts via direct message? = ¿Has chateado con contactos por mensaje directo?
- Have you left a voice message? = ¿Has dejado un mensaje de voz?
- Have you listened to a voice message? = ¿Has escuchado un mensaje de voz?
- Have you changed your mood message? = ¿Has cambiado tu mensaje de estado de ánimo?
- Have you created an account on YouTube?
- Have you uploaded a video to YouTube?
- Can you login on your laptop? On your phone? On your tablet?
- Have you faved a video?
- Have you subscribed to a YouTube channel?
- Have you adjusted your YouTube account notifications?
- Have you viewed your YouTube channel statistics?
- Have you turned off an advertisement on YouTube?
- Have you created a custom thumbnail image for your video?
- Have you changed the license setting for any of your videos?
- Have you adjusted the video viewing settings to 1080p?
- Have you reviewed your viewing history?
- Have you searched for a playlist?
- Have you created a playlist?
- Have you created an account on Zoom?
- Have you participated in a Zoom call?
- Have you initiated in a Zoom call?
Core Skills: Basics
- Have you used more than one browser?
- Have you shared photos and videos?
- Have you paid attention to your notifications?
- Have you taken screenshots from your phone and computer?
- Bonus points: Have you searched for a song using Shazam?
- Are you comfortable with voice writing?
- Are you comfortable with collaborative notetaking?
- Have you created an email address?
- Have you created more than one email address?
- Have you deleted an email?
- Have you printed out a list of passwords?
- Have you changed the subject line in the reply to an email?
- Have you forwarded an email?
- Have you learned the difference between CC (Carbon Copy) and BCC (Blind Carbon Copy)
- Instead of sending attachments, have you shared a link where the information can be downloaded?
- Create a countdown timeanddate.com/clocks/freecountdown.html
- Create a wordcloud wordclouds.com
- Translate something translate.google.com
- Capture a web page via the Internet Archive / Wayback Machine – archive.org/web
Business Owners: If you own a brick-and-mortar business, have you claimed your space on Facebook? On Google? If you have, claim double points.
Our view: upgrading communication skills is a worthy goal of its own. And yes, it’s a road without end. In our nearly 30 years of being an online portal, Planeta.com has had numerous interactions with good people doing good things who were stumped when it came to communicating their experiences, needs, and lessons learned. Whether it’s a website or discussion elsewhere on the web, they had few ideas how to share their experiences and goals and tended to complicate instead of simplifying communication strategies.
The digital world changes so frequently, it is impossible to keep up with all of the options, upgrades, and alternatives. Somehow it seems ‘you have to be everywhere at once.’ Our digital literacy skills, particularly for those working in education, conservation, and tourism, need to be challenged and upgraded on a regular basis if we need to be effective collaborators.
Are we personally comfortable? Can we explain this to others in a friendly and helpful manner? This questions will be explored and hopefully articulated online.
The quiz tests us all, including your humble host, Ron Mader. Remember Planeta started with gophering was popular. If you see ways we can improve our usage of these and other new tools, speak up!
The quiz has been used in tandem with ongoing workshops and our 2010-2021 celebration of Responsible Travel Week. Participants choose what they want to learn and score their own performances. We use various social media channels / networks / platforms and learn how to be more engaging on the social web.
Internally, the Quiz is part of our ongoing, effort of cyber housekeeping — updating content and the widgets embedded on our website to cheer on fave examples around the globe and co-create an enabling environment. If you find broken links or widgets that do not show up properly, please let us know.
Planeta spotlights our fave recorded webinars on relevant pages addressing conservation and tourism. Is it possible to watch the webinar without registering? = Es posible ver el webinário sin registrarse?
There’s a plus side for improving the visibility of noble goals such as regenerative and sustainable practices. If there disconnects, it’s time to heal them.
We settle into routines, which can be comfortable, perhaps too comfortable.
The quiz never ends (like the trial of humanity on Star Trek Next Generation).
Be willing to learn and play. Don’t be surprised if you end teaching others some new ways of using these devices.
Elsewhere on the Web
Everything is too complicated – Verge